Not sure what to prune this month?
Grab your secateurs there’s some gentle snipping and pruning to be done, and some, possibly more demanding, trimming on the cards to this month. A great stress relieving activity, good exercise and highly rewarding.
1. Trim box, privet and lonicera hedges
2. Dead head delphiniums and lupins once they have flowered as this will help promote more blooms
3. Cut back any tender shrubs such as hardy fuchsias and penstemon
4. Towards the end of the month prune spring flowering shrubs once they have flowered
5. Cut back hardy geraniums, heucheras and oriental poppies, this should make way for more foliage and flowers
6. Remove side shoots from tomato plants
7. Prune new plum and cherry trees
8. If you have a patch of nettles to attract wildlife cut them back to encourage new growth.