Time to clip and mow...
Posted on May 17, 2014 by Potter & Rest
May is definitely a month for plenty of garden activity so grab your secateurs and rev-up the mower, and let’s get out there:
- After flowering cut back any early flowering shrubs
- At the end of May trim box trees for shape
- Pinch out fuchsias to make them bushier
- Cut back any dead wood on Japanese maples to new wood
- Remove any dead heads on rhododendrons and azaleas
- Clip ground cover plants to remove old foliage
- Check for birds’ nests before pruning shrubs and hedges
- Remove any unwanted side shoots from grape vines
- Cut back spreading and trailing plants.
- Try to mow the lawn on a weekly basis
- Apply a fertiliser to established lawns, if you haven’t already done so
- This month is the last chance for sowing a new lawn.